December 12, 2005: Milford, Massachusetts – Atlas Travel International was ranked as the 13th largest woman-led business in Massachusetts as part of a major research study released by Babson College and The Commonwealth Institute. The Top Woman-Led Businesses in Massachusetts: Lessons from 2000 to 2004 study finds that 54 percent of woman-led businesses in Massachusetts have achieved annual growth greater than the national average of five percent from 2003 to 2004. The study, which surveyed a group of 215 respondents, uncovered other key trends about woman-led businesses:
- Of the 43 companies that consistently participated in the study over a five-year period from 2000-2004, the average company grew nearly 27 percent from revenues of $13.9 million in 2000 to revenues of $17.9 million in 2004. In the same timeframe, average employee count increased by 9.5 percent, resulting in productivity gains of 15.9 percent.
- Demonstrating their commitment to work/life balance for their organizations, 78 percent of the women CEOs surveyed are currently married or partnered and 87 percent have children.
Elaine Osgood, CEO of Atlas Travel International, exemplifies and reflects these trends in business by the growth and success of her company. Atlas has been named on the Top Woman-Led Businesses in Massachusetts list every year since the study began. In addition to this honor, the success of Atlas and Elaine Osgood is illustrated by the following:
- In 3Q05 Atlas grew 45% and has been growing steadily since the company was founded in 1986.
- Elaine Osgood, CEO of Atlas is being considered by Working Mother magazine as one of the best small companies for which to work
- Fast Company magazine named Elaine one of the top 25 women business builders
- Named to list of Most Powerful Women in Travel by Travel Agent magazine
“We are committed to helping our clients be successful by strategically managing their corporate travel spend and help our leisure clients by providing the best travel experience at the best price,” said Elaine Osgood. “As our clients’ success grows, Atlas’ success grows.”
“The women CEOs we studied possess the drive, management expertise and long-term commitment to start and grow thriving enterprises,” said Professor Nan S. Langowitz, Director of the Center for Women’s Leadership at Babson College and chief researcher and author of the study. “These women are strong role models of business leadership and key contributors to the Massachusetts economy. They are succeeding across virtually all industry sectors and growing their companies faster than the national average. These CEOs are ambitious for their companies and for themselves, citing company profitability and personal satisfaction as top personal goals,” Langowitz added.
“Women CEOs are succeeding because they first and foremost value strong relationships with customers and employees,” said Aileen Gorman, executive director of The Commonwealth Institute. “Their leadership focus engenders loyalty and productivity, and results in long-term business success. Additionally, the CEOs we studied value learning and continue to reach out to mentors and boards of advisors to further their knowledge. Their commitment to building their companies for the long term and furthering their own expertise has been integral to their business growth.”
Atlas Celebrates 20th Year of Success
Atlas is kicking off a year long celebration of their 20th anniversary with a series of events that picks up in January with a day-long celebration of globally-inspired music and art to be held in the restored historical train depot in Lexington. The day will include performances by Irish step dancers, mariachi bands, steel drum bands and other cultural entertainment. For more information, contact Karen McCrink at (508) 488-1100 extension 110.
About Atlas Travel International, Inc.:
Atlas Travel International is a full-service, $65 million travel agency serving corporate, vacation and meeting travel needs. Honored as a leading business in New England and a leader in the travel industry, Atlas is headquartered in Milford, Massachusetts and has offices throughout the New England region. More information about Atlas Travel International is available on the Web at www.atlastravel.com or by calling 1-800-362-8626.
The full research report is available from Babson’s Center for Women’s Leadership and can be downloaded at www3.babson.edu/cwl/.